Monday, June 06, 2011

What's Up With the Book?

I'm making some fairly major changes to the novel, but I think the payoff is going to substantial. One of the biggest changes is that I'm adding another POV, that of the antagonist.  The antagonist in this story is not the "bad guy" -- in fact, as ruthless as his plan is, you may be wondering if he has a point by the time it's all over.  Regardless, we need to get to know him as more than a shadowy figure in the background.  We also need to see more of the preparations for war that the antagonist is making.  These preparations are largely hidden from the protagonist, so I felt some of the tension of that plotline was lacking. Showing events for the antagonist's point of view will help both issues. This gives me a total of three POV's for the two main story lines (one during the firebombing of Dresden in WW2 and one in the present day), but I think the interlocking between the three POV is solid.  We'll see how it goes.

I'm also focusing events more on the internal conflicts that the protagonist is having to deal with, as well as highlighting the theme a bit more throughout.  There are the same basic plot events, but I'm strengthening the connections and meanings associated with them.  I'm pleased with how that's turning out so far.

There are a multitude of other changes that aren't quite so major (for example, the protagonist's love interest now hates him through most of the book -- and with good reason).  So, lots of work to be done, but it's all good work -- and it's good to be working.

No comments: