Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Ship Designs

(First off, we've been drinking apple martinis made by our friend who is staying with us, so apologies in advance for typos...)

I've just finished the deck plans for the ship that features prominently in the novel I'm working on. I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. As I've mentioned before, it really helps me to have maps of the area I'm writing about -- seeing the layout not only helps with descriptions, it also helps with practical things like getting how long it take to get from point A to point B. In this particular case, for example, I'v edecided that the cargo hold -- wher ethe protagonist will stow away -- is unpressurized. That should lead to a very nice tense scene as she has to decide whether to give herself up (and risk being spaced) or run out of air in her suit (which would accomplish the same thing). It's the little details that lead to huge conflicts.

In keeping with my business model, however, I've also made sure that the deck plans follow the format and rules of the gaming magazine I've been writing for. I'm hoping I can use these deck plans as the basis for an article I will write. I'm also probably going to make a 3D Poser model of the ship, which I can also likely sell. I think that's a big part of writing in addition to just putting words on paper -- figure out how many different ways you can sell your work.

Have you sold any of your development work lately?

No comments: