Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Productive Day

The article that JTAS bought was the first in what could easily become a series of articles. I didn't want to write any more in the series until I was sure they were interested in the first one. Since they bought it, they're obviously interested, so I sat down today with my AlphaSmart and cranked out the next article on the topic. The first draft came in at just under 6,000 words, so I'll need to cut that down in the edit phase tomorrow, as the magazine has a limit of 5,000 words. It shouldn't be a problem, as I already think I see where I can trim it fairly easily. Still, 6,000 words in a single day is pretty darn good.

I'm developing a love-hate relationship with my AlphaSmart. I love writing on it. It is the single most perfect writing tool ever developed, as far as I'm concerned. It exactly matches my writing style and habits, and obviously I'm quite productive when I'm using it. I thought I had worked out a somewhat clunky, but effective, way of getting the text from the AlphaSmart to the PC, but now, mysteriously, that technique has also stopped working (this is the second technique that I got to work just one time). I'm at a loss as to how to get the text out into Word where I can edit it. I guess I'm going to end up retyping the whole article from the AlphaSmart screen (along with another 2,000 words of the novel, as well). I'm not very happy about that, but I suppose it's no different from having written the article in my notebook in longhand to begin with. I'm very seriously considering getting an AlphaSmart Neo as an early Christmas present. Have to discuss that one with the wife and see what she thinks, since it would be a gift from her. :)

All in all, though, an extremely productive day.

No comments: