Saturday, September 10, 2005

Kepler Educational Consulting


The biggest news in my life right now is that Kepler Educational Consulting, my new education firm, is officially off the ground. I registered the domain name (http://www.KeplerEducation.com) yesterday, finished and uploaded the web site this afternoon, and as of about 5:30 PM today, the email system is also up and running. Much rejoicing! My business card (available from the site as a "virtual business card") is shown above. I've been doing web design for several years now, but I'm exceptionally pleased with how this one turned out. I've got a little bit of fuzziness in the logo that I need to clean up a bit if I can, but I'm thinking that's an artifact of the transparent gif I made in Adobe Illustrator. Even as-is, it doesn't look bad at all. Check out the site, even if you don't have any interest in education!

As a moderately interesting side note, my company was almost named "Exodus Educational Consulting." As long-time readers of this blog know, "The Exodus Project" is the name of the setting for the near-future science fiction stories I've been writing, and also serves as my personal email address. A lot of my professional contacts in the education writing world know my ExodusProject.com email address, so I was thinking I'd leverage that while simultaneously paying tribute to my story setting. As it turns out, though, "Exodus Education" is a Black Muslim recruiting site. Hmm. That could cause some confusion, now couldn't it? But really, I'm happier with the current name. Kepler, for those who don't know, was the first to formulate the laws of planetary motion, so that meshes very well with the Kepler Education logo (which is taken from the original Exodus Project logo). "Kepler" still evokes the sense of the exploration of the Solar System, better than Exodus Project, in fact. And, to top it all off, the NASA mission to search for planets around other stars has been named the "Kepler Mission," so it's all good. Yesterday I got another invitation to be a guest speaker (another $1000 bucks!), so overall, I'm well and truly pleased at how things are going. I'm excited to have the site (and this part of my career) finally launched!

In totally unrelated news, my daughter wore "big girl panties" for the first time today. She was pretty impressed with herself. This may be more than you really want to know, but you have to keep in mind that I'm a founding member of "Dads Against Diapers" (D.A.D.), so this is a really big deal for me.

After all, it's not just a job, it's a doody.

No comments: